26 February 2008

Racing to Villa O'Higgins

The roads lately have been quite difficult. There are few services between towns and I think it's been 3 days since I've had a proper shower with few perhaps a week to go before the next opportunity. We have to catch a ferry in Villa O'Higgins on Saturday, or we wait a week, which is not an option. After the ferry, load up on donkey or horse and walk south toward Mt. Fitz Roy. This is going to be a highlight of the trip, so I'm getting more excited by the day even though my butt thinks the opposite.

Along the way, there is maybe one place to get food in the 230km between here (Cochrane) and O'Higgins. After I get off this computer, I'm off to the supermarket to stock up. At least our only expense is food since we ride until 830pm and stop wherever we may be at the time.

The lake route along Lago General Carrera was some of the most stunning scenery of the trip so far, there really isn't anything I could compare it to. However, at the same time it was a series of useless climbs. Let me define: travel say 50km in which the elevation is the same at the end as it was in the beginning, but climb a total of 1200+ meters during the ride. That is what I call useless climbing, up and down, up and down. When combined with loose gravel, steep roads, and 30(?more?) kmph headwinds in which I struggle at 4 kmph uphill sometimes pushing the bike because the roads are unridable so, well, it's not the easiest road. I actually had my first legitimate crash too while descending one road, but thankfully I unclipped and landing on my feet running down the hill while my bike, bags rather, didn't fare as well.

And by the way, the Chilean civil engineers and maintenance workers responsible for the roads can go screw themselves along with the SUV and truck drivers who drive too fast and create the shit in the road in the first place.

Ok, I forgot about the other things I wanted to mention. We're still in a rush to push 70-80km per day, which means another 50-60 to go with who knows how many useless climbs ahead.

I appreciate everyone's comments so far and encouragement, it helps me along this difficult section.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

At the end of the Carretera Austral, fond memories remain.

Anonymous said...

I miss you, wish you were comming home!Or better yet wish I was there with you. I have a stationary bike now and I'm practising.You inspired me to star riding my bike to work, just waiting for spring. Will have to put some brakes on the bike and new tires and I'm ready to go! love sylvia

Jen said...

Hi,

I miss you. I hope you are having fun and that you're safe.