20 May 2008

Bolivia scores another point

As an addendum to the previous post, I wanted to give a little update and clarify a few things. First of all, when I speak anything bad about Bolivia, it is specifically with respect to the harsh terrain this country occupies, cold and barren elevation only. The people here couldn't be more amiable. Walking down the street, the disparity between myself and the indegenous population is vast with respect to economics and such. However, I feel humbled by the presence of these people whose wrinkled faces reveal a past laden with difficulties I can only begin to understand, or in whose youth lies a similar fate. I don't think things have changed much in the past couple hundred years, Jeep tours and Internet access for tourists aside, nor will it change in the near future. With admiration, I confess to enjoy walking around the colorful markets much more than your typical grocery store that has the latest imports from around the world. I am amazed at when the vendors close shop for siesta or another reason, they simply drape a cloth over their products, though even some fruits can be seen sticking out at the sides. There seems to be no culture of theft and here, in one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere, I feel safer than in a parking lot back in the US.

With that said, Bolivia the land claimed another point in its match against the cyclists. Gudrun was throwing up last night and is bedridden today as well. Unbelievable...same symptoms: shivers, nausea, lack of appetite and strength, etc. I had a wonderful pizza with her last night while Jan Willem stayed in bed, so let's see. If everything goes according to schedule based on my recovery, Jan Willem will be dining on fine American-made pizza tomorrow night (the owner from western MA moved here after marrying a Bolivian woman), while Gudrun should be eating with us again on Saturday. Markus is expected by then, so a celebration it shall be in honor of recovery and a point for the cyclists!! I just hope I'm not counting eggs before they hatch, eh?

PS - I'm spending about half the day wandering around the city now, feeling much better. Today I'll go to the museum where they have skulls, artifacts, mummies, and explain the process of mummification. Might come in handy someday, who knows? Then I think Thursday, I'll venture on the bicycle for a few hours into the Salar de Uyuni to scout the route, terrain, etc. Let's just hope the reflection off the salt doesn't burn a hole in my retina, that'd be the last thing I need.

1 comment:

Team Argentina said...

David! It sounds like you´re appreciating Bolivia in a wonderful way. The people really are incredibly friendly through all the difficulty of their lives that is apparent. They seem to, for the most part, live well. I´m glad you are pressing on in your incredible journey. May your recovery be quick and complete.
-William (One of the Seattle cyclists with only two panniers)